Recently, I have found myself experimenting with makeup and stepping a little out of my comfort zone, sitting down for twenty minutes - sometimes even over an hour - having achieved a finished makeup look that I wouldn't have dared to try before. I have drawn inspiration from places such as Pinterest (see my 'beauty inspiration' board here) and Instagram and one particular look that I have been loving is this beautiful cranberry toned eyeshadow look worn by the lovely Ashley Benson. I found this photo (below) on her Instagram page and loved it instantly. It is perfect for a night out but can look equally as great when toned down for the day time, which is exactly what I did.
This look was a fairly simple one to achieve though it may look slightly intimidating at first, but once you take a look at the broken down steps it makes things a lot easier to follow. I have to point out that my photographs don't do the finished look any justice! I don't have a camera at the moment so have to make do with my iPhone 5s and my bedrooms poor lighting, but I hope you can get an idea of the outcome.
1. Apply your usual base - I began by applying Revlon's Colour Stay foundation then concealed with Maybelline's Eraser Eye (for the under eye area) and Collection's Lasting Perfection Concealor (for blemishes). I set both using my Bourjois Healthy Balance Powder.
2. Fill in your brows and over draw slightly if needed - As you can see, Ashley Bensons brows appear darker than her hair colour and look fairly thick so using the Soap and Glory Brow Archery, I filled in and thickened my brows. I then set using the Loreal Brow Plumper.
3. Apply an eyeshadow primer or base - I applied a thin layer of the Maybelline Colour Tattoo in Permanent Taupe.
4. Using a shade like Mac's Quarry I lightly drew a wing, as well as dusting the shadow over the outer corner. Using a fluffy brush I then made sure to blend well to get rid of any harsh lines.
5. Apply a cranberry shade all over lid (can mix with a lighter, slightly pink shade to lighten if wanted). Blend well.
6. Line the upper and lower last line with either black or dark brown liner. Blend out using pencil brush.
7.Apply a gel liner to create a small flick and continue across the upper lash line.
8. Using pencil brush, apply the same cranberry shade below the lower lash line. Blend.
9. Apply two or three coats of mascara and apply false lashes if wanted.
10.Use a matte bronzer (Benefit's Hoola Bronzer) to lightly contour the cheekbones, forehead and nose.
11. Lightly dust a dark pink blush (pref. not too matte) onto cheeks.
12. Apply highlighter to cheekbones if wanted.
13. Line the lips with Rimmel's East End Snob Lip Liner and apply Mac's Brave over the top. Pat Soap and Glory Sexy Mother Pucker in Charm Offensive over and blend.